House

Bathroom Reno: Fixing Walls & Replacing Floors

This bathroom remodel/reno is definitely an on-going process, filled with lots of different steps. First, I removed all the wallpaper, a tedious task made only slightly better by my iPod. What was left was pretty ugly, tbh. I had two options: sand the walls really well so they could potentially be painted over directly, or skim coat.

I went with skim coat. Of course, it was work, though a different kind of work than sanding, and I hate sanding. Also, I didn’t have to do the skim-coating. My brother-in-law did that part for me.

What is skim-coating? It’s where you buy a shit-ton of drywall mud (okay, not that much but they come in really heavy boxes if you buy the premixed kind) and spread it on the wall, essentially. You create a new texture, or you coat it smooth, or you rent a special texture machine thing. We went the cheaper route of not renting the machine and doing a hand-textured style that’s popular in Arizona, for one. I saw a lot of it when I lived there. It takes longer than renting a machine but there’s the added bonus of not having to tape anything off.

image

Doing the whole bathroom only took a few hours, and mostly it took that long because we took an hour break in the middle. It had been a long day already–we’d started by demo-ing the vanity, floors, and toilet earlier in the day.

image

After doing all the walls, we waited over night for them to dry. Then we gave them a quick sand to knock down any high spots. Now, basically, the walls are ready for prime and paint. It’s amazing what just small changes can do.

Since the walls were done, it was time to do the floors.

Yay, floors? This is the third room I’ve re-done the floors in, not counting the carpet in the bedrooms. I went with my go-to floors because they are inexpensive, easy to install, and they look good. Yep, groutable vinyl tile again. Went with the same color as I did in the other bathroom (french gray from Lowes), though the pattern was different in this batch.

image

From start to finish, it took about 6.5 hours to do one room. A lot of that was due to making sure things stuck down properly and making very precise cuts around the tub. My trick is to use a piece of paper and make a template first. This helps ensure you don’t mess up any tiles. I probably spent 10 minutes on the template for cutting around the door, but better ten minutes spent getting it right than a wasted tile.

image

So anyway, that’s where we are. Floor and walls. And many miles to go before we sleep.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s