House

$60 Mid-Century Mod Bench

So you may know that I’ve got a huge laundry room that is literally just four walls and the washer/dryer. There are no cabinets, no shelves, nothing. It’s a blank slate and I’ve been racking my brain what to do with it. I knew I needed a drop-off place instead of letting things congregate on the counter, so I took the first step and built a bench.

Sure, I probably could have bought this bench somewhere, but I needed it to be the right length, the right height, and I wanted it to go with my attempted theme in this house. I’m going for mid-century mod since the house was built in the 60s. I don’t want it to be one of those Pinterest houses that screams kitchy, matchy-matchy mid-century, way too sleek kind of houses. Mostly because I know I could never quite achieve that look on my own, also because those house designs are super expensive. So I go for a modified version of it.

I decided to build a bench with a cubby for shoes and try to match the theme. First things, what I used to build it:

  • One 8ft x 1ft pine board
  • Primer
  • Semi-gloss paint in white (the same I’ve used for trim and doors in the house)
  • Clear polyacrylic
  • Four 5″ legs from Lowes + four angled leg attachers
  • 1.5″ construction screws
  • One 2′ x 4′ backer board

I had the guy at Home Depot cut the board for me into two sections of 36″ and two sections of 11.5″. He actually cut one wrong, so I had to recut it at home with the jigsaw. I sanded all the boards, including the edges, then primed one side of each board. I did two coats.

image

After priming, I painted those sides white, two coats. I also primed and painted the legs.

Once the paint was dry, I assembled the pieces, with the bare wood on the outside and the painted sides on the inside. I also added a few braces on the side so it would be stronger.

image

Then I poly’d the entire thing, inside and out. Three coats. I sanded lightly between each coat and wiped it down, but Poly attracts every bit of dust or hair in the area, so be careful.

image

I actually put on the back piece as an afterthought to make it sturdier, so I cut out a piece to fit and painted the inside white.

Then it was time to put on the legs. I turned the box over and positioned the legs. I got angled leg things so that the legs would be angled, so I made sure they were angled the right way. It was a simple matter of screwing them in and screwing in the legs.

imageimage

Tada! Brand new bench. I’m still thinking of modifying it a bit to fit more shoes, but the laundry room has begun at any rate.

image

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s