Technically, according to the actual OneRoomChallenge website, we are on week 3, though really, it’s week 2 in my book. I guess it’s not important except that I have a week less to work on this. Here we are, week 3.
So week three was a big week, decision-wise. Anyone who knows me can vouch for the fact that I am incredibly indecisive. It took weeks to choose a paint color for the cabinets, and though I’m still a little on the fence, I chose one!
Before we get that far, though, here, have a mood board! Yep, I broke out my rusty photoshop skillz to finally make one for this room.
As you can see by the board, I did finally choose a color: Copper Patina by Behr. Another shade of green. My whole house is basically blue, grey, and green. Anyway, back to the challenge! This week was painting cabinets.
I’ve done a lot of reading on the best way to do this (thank you, Pinterest, and the internet). I’ve never painted cabinets before, and though I have painted other things, I don’t know that I’ve always done it correctly. So this time, I tried to do it the “right” way.
I went to Sherwin Williams because I trust their knowledge better than the big box stores and got their ProClassic enamel latex paint. I’ve read some stuff that says it chips occasionally, but I guess time will tell. It seems pretty strong to me, and I did use Kilz to prime underneath. Idk, I tend not to have the same problems everyone else does, but maybe I’m just lucky.
I will say all those blogs who say you can paint a kitchen in a weekend are crap. It takes several days to sand and prime everything then several more to paint it all. It’s taken me 2 weekends just to do this 4 feet of cabinets. I cannot fathom how long it will take to do my actual kitchen.
Anyway, I painted all the doors, drawers, and frames this week, two coats on each side, sanding between them.
The pictures aren’t exactly true to color here. I haven’t bothered to break out my good camera, so you’ll have to make do with iPhone pics.
I also repainted the baseboards I’d removed and reattached them to the base.
So here’s my list so far:
install cabinets sand & prime cabinets paint cabinets
- install counter (choose a counter)
- install tile backsplash
- install shelves
What’s left now is to build out the extra two feet for the counter, attach legs, oh, and get a counter. That may mean there will be no changes next week, but we’ll see how things get on.
Here, as a bonus, I found a picture from the original listing of the house (before I bought it), so you can see how far we’ve come: